Topic: Free Tax Help (VITA/TCE/AARP/IRS Free File)
Who it affects: Individual Taxpayers
Key point – Free Tax Help is Available. To learn more visit https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites provide assistance to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
- The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program offers free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors. The IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.
- Before going to a VITA or TCE site constituents should see Publication 3676-B for services provided and check out the What to Bring page to ensure they have all the required documents and information our volunteers will need to help them.
- AARP also offers tax assistance.
- A list of sites across New Hampshire is available here. Note that the list is in alpha order by county so you can easily find sites in your congressional district. The list is a snapshot in time – volunteer sites open and close throughout the filing season.
- A VITA/TCE locator tool by zip code constituents can use is available here
- An AARP Tax-Aide locator tool by zip code is available here
IRS Free File allows those with income below $66,000 to prepare and file their own federal individual income tax return for free using commercial tax preparation and filing software.